To bake or not to bake… Spending more time at home, means more time to be creative in the kitchen. By now, most of us may know baking is best left to the professionals, despite our best baking efforts.
Spoil your family this holiday season by shopping at these local bakeries for sweets that are sure to treat!
Life is like Macaroons, always full of colour and 24 Cakes has the tastiest pop of colour this holiday season. Popularly known for their Oreo Cookie, Caramel Latte, Matcha, Banana Hazelnut, Strawberry, Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Pretzel Biscuit Macaroons – but that’s not all.
24 Cakes has perfected the art of handmade Mille Crepes, available in a variety of flavours.
St. Joseph’s Bakery
Set your sweet tooth aside because St. Joseph’s made by hand sourdough is a perfect addition for your holiday meal. Potato & Olive, Kalamata, Multi-Seed, Baguettes, you name it – they got it! Also, be sure to try out their fresh deli and pastry options available.
Niagara Food Company
Formally known as Sweetie Pie’s Bakery, Niagara Food Company creates customizable pies with locally sourced ingredients. They also have a variety of frozen meal options for when you are out late shopping the latest local gifts on their list (link to L+C blog) you won’t have to sacrifice having a home-made meal.
Freshly baked or order it frozen, helping you be prepared when you need to bake at home. Their signature pies include Apple, Apple Caramel, Strawberry Rhubarb, Sour Cherry, Pumpkin or Peach… just like grandma used to make!
- Pie of the Month Club………… $85.00 – $165.00
- Frozen Meals and Desserts………… $7.00 – $38.00
- Sweets ………… $6.00 – $38.00
Beechwood Doughnuts is Niagara’s first and only 100% vegan doughnut shop. Beechwood’s aim is to prove that plant-based foods can be just as delicious as they are compassionate… and trust us, they are!
Currently open for one day advance pre-order pickup only. No walk-ins or same day orders. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-5:00pm.
The Frosted Cupcake
Is trying one of the top 25 cupcake shops in the WORLD on your holiday wish list? Cross it off with a stop by The Frosted Cupcake.
With cupcakes baked fresh from scratch every day, The Frosted Cupcake is always nut-free and offers gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan or diabetic options (by order) because everyone deserves a treat!
The Green Apple
The Green Apple Coffeehouse is a new addition to the St. Catharines downtown area, and they brought us everything we wanted in one place.
Custom cakes, cupcakes, cookies, a full-service event space, catering AND certified fair-trade organic coffee and tea… can our wish list get any longer? The Green Apple Pastry Chef, Alicia, is making all the creations from scratch, and each cake order comes with a personal consultation.
Other Local Bakeries:
- 13th Street Bakery features seasonal fresh baked goods, made on-site with local ingredients, filled with an assortment of jams, jellies, and preserves.
- The Itty Bitty Pie Company is always offering six different flavours of mini pies weekly… you got to see what they have this week!
- Ever have a croissant that made you feel like you were in Italy? Con Gusto is the place for you.
- Don’t skip over the dessert bar this year with Edible Options. Try their decadent gluten-free bakery with vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, soy-free or cane sugar-free options.
- Caffé Gatti has signature European tortes, made with layers of fresh home-made sponge cake, blanketed in fresh Italian cream.